What is a Health Educator?
A Health Educator...
is professionally prepared and possesses knowledge and skills based upon theories and research to promote health education behavior change in individuals and populations. Health Education draws from various sciences to promote health and prevent disease, disability, and premature death.
Health educators provide information on health and health related issues. They can assess health training needs and plan health education programs. They may specialize according to specific health concerns, illnesses, or work or training setting. Health educators may work as independent consultants or in health departments, community organizations, businesses, hospitals, schools, or government agencies. Health Educators often:
- Perform health training needs assessments.
- Design and develop health education programs.
- Publish health education materials, information papers, and grant proposals.
- Develop health education curricula.
- Teach health in public and private schools.